Thursday, 11 June 2015

Volunteering

I've been volunteering for the last two years, I started volunteering when my health was picking up slightly and I had enough energy to help out once or twice a week. I go to Prenton Prep School and help with art classes. I help run the classes and sometimes help plan what to do in them. It's really helped build my confidence as I have to interact with many people so it's also helped build my communication skills.

As well as volunteering at Prenton Prep I also volunteer at the Williamson Art Gallery. I do the same sort of thing and help run drop in art classes which any child can go to. At this class we let the children decide what they want to make, so in this particular class the little girl I was helping wanted to make a unicorn pony out of a pringles tin. This was a challenge but I loved it because we could be so creative and it's taking an idea which sometimes you wouldn't think would work or doesn't seem like a good idea but using a child's imagination you can create it. I enjoy experimenting and I think helping here taught me to be free with my work, if I have an idea which is a bit out there and seems a too much just to try it and see where it can take me.

 


I have recently received my Vinspired 100 award for having over 100 hours of volunteering and also received the student volunteer of the term award.

No comments:

Post a Comment